Welcome to the next generation of training materials for Carlson Survey, the Practical Guide.
The Practical Guide books have been formatted to maximize learning by starting all lessons with an explanation of the concepts and processes that will be covered; followed by real world examples in step-by-step exercises that you can perform yourself with the included dataset.
This courseware is an essential resource for all surveyors and survey technicians utilizing Carlson Survey to perform all types of survey calculations and deliverables. Critical components of Carlson Survey are covered in a clear and comprehensive approach that enables the reader to quickly learn these key topics and effectively put them to use in their daily workflow. Each lesson contains a discussion of the background of the topic and its real world applications, followed by step-by-step exercises that demonstrate how to make them work for you.
This text builds on the foundation of knowledge established in A Practical Guide to Carlson Software Fundamentals 2022. While a mastery of the material in that book is not mandatory to the successful completion of this text, it is highly recommended as a prerequisite to this courseware. Together the set of two books totals almost 800 pages of detailed training content, including 71 lessons and 163 hands-on exercises, making them the definitive resource for learning Carlson Survey.
Get the most comprehensive set of Carlson Survey training material available with our Complete Carlson Survey 2022 Training Bundle with AutoCAD. It includes our Carlson Software Fundamentals, Carlson Survey and AutoCAD 2022 books at one low price.
A Practical Guide to Carlson Survey features 84 exercises organized into 37 lessons in 7 chapters. Each lesson includes detailed descriptions of processes and theory with many illustrations and diagrams, to help you understand “why”, not just “how”.
This new, large format book is spiral bound, to lie perfectly flat on your desk.
This new Carlson Survey 2022 book focuses on effectively using this powerful software, providing you with skills that other professionals are using in the workplace every day.
Instructors: this book is used in classrooms worldwide. Find out more about using it in your next class.
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Navigate the Pull-down Menus and Ribbon Menus
- Set up Carlson Software to use the Project approach
- Utilize various COGO tools
- Enter Raw Survey Data at the Command Prompt
- Enter Raw Survey Data in the Carlson Raw Data Editor
- Adjust a Traverse with Compass and Angle Balance
- Adjust a Traverse with Carlson SurvNet
- Enter Deed Data to Create a Deed File
- Perform a Deed Correlation with Field Data
- Create and Edit Lots and Areas
- Utilize Carlson LotNet to Generate Lots and Setbacks
- Edit and Annotate LotNet Lots
- Setup Field to Finish Codes and Generate 2D and 3D Geometry
- Utilize Various Critical Coordinate File Utilities
- Utilize the Point History to Record all Edits to Coordinate Files
- Use Special Linetypes for Map Creation
Features and Benefits of all Cadapult books:
- Lessons build upon one another using a contiguous dataset, providing consistency through the entire book
- Skills learned through easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures
- Sequential exercises that follow one logical, real-world example project
- Flexible datasets allow you to “skip ahead” to a relevant lesson, or use as an on-demand reference guide
- Detailed explanations and chapter summaries facilitate learning and retention
- Written by instructors with decades of industry and teaching experience
- Tested and refined in classrooms with a broad cross-section of students
This book has 453 pages, organized into 7 chapters, in a large-format, spiral bound volume.
Authors: Douglas L. Aaberg, PLS; Rick Ellis and Duke Gardner
Written, printed and published in the United States of America.
Meet the Authors:
Douglas L. Aaberg, PLS is a licensed Professional Land Surveyor in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and in the State of Colorado. His career in the Land Surveying/Civil Engineering business spans four decades. Having used Carlson Software exclusively since 1998, Doug is a recognized expert in applying the continually expanding capability of Carlson’s programming to the everyday “work flow” of land surveyors and engineers.
After owning and operating his own company for fifteen years, Doug now works directly for Carlson Software as their Survey Product manager. Besides being involved in development, he dedicates his time consulting to both large and small land survey and engineering firms through on-site training, remote support and individually tailored documentation.
Rick Ellis, president of Cadapult Software Solutions, Inc, has worked with and taught AutoCAD Civil 3D, along with Map 3D and other Autodesk products since the mid-90s. He is the Author of several critically acclaimed books on AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Map 3D, Land Desktop and Carlson Software; including the Practical Guide series.
Rick continues to use AutoCAD Civil 3D on projects in a production environment, in addition to teaching classes to organizations both large and small around the country, helping them get the most out of their design software investment.
This practical background and approach has made him an award winning speaker at Autodesk University, a member of the national speaker team for the AUGI CAD Camps and a sought after instructor by organizations around the world.
Duke Gardner has served the land surveying and civil engineering communities for over 35 years in a wide variety of support roles. His focus on the theory as well as the practice skills needed to achieve successful implementation made him an excellent partner in the author team for this guide.