Welcome to the next generation of training materials for AutoCAD Map 3D, the Practical Guide.
This book focuses on effectively using AutoCAD Map 3D 2021. Each lesson contains concepts, principles, and exercises to effectively apply valuable new skills directly to your daily tasks. You work through real world exercises to reinforce your understanding. This provides you with skills that other professionals are using in the workplace every day.
AutoCAD now includes industry-specific toolsets, which includes the AutoCAD Map 3D toolset. Now these great features are available to AutoCAD users to add intelligence to their drawings.
The AutoCAD Map 3D toolset can be used in many different ways to increase your productivity and add intelligence to your drawings, even if you are not in the Mapping field. Find out more…
This large format book is spiral bound, to lie perfectly flat on your desk.
It features 100 exercises organized into 46 lessons in 12 chapters. Each lesson includes detailed descriptions of processes and theory with many illustrations and diagrams, to help you understand “why”, not just “how”.
Instructors: this book is used in classrooms worldwide. Find out more about using it in your next class.
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Work with multiple coordinate systems
- Clean drawings with common geometry errors
- Work with COGO tools to accurately map objects
- Insert rectified raster images
- Work with a variety of attribute data
- Apply object classification to your mapping system
- Import GIS data from a variety of sources
- Export geometry and attribute data to other GIS formats
- Connect directly to GIS data and stylize features
- Access Data using the Autodesk Connector for ArcGIS
- Connect to raster surface data and raster images
- Attach and query source drawings
- Save changes to attached source drawings
- Extract data for reports and quantity takeoffs
- Create, manage and analyze topologies
- Create dynamic scale bars, north arrows and legends
- Produce map books to automate sheet layout
This book is suitable for anyone from general AutoCAD users to seasoned professionals in the Civil Engineering, Surveying, Mapping, Planning, Land Development or GIS industries.
Features and Benefits of all Cadapult books:
- Lessons build upon one another using a contiguous dataset, providing consistency through the entire book
- Skills learned through easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures
- Sequential exercises that follow one logical, real-world example project
- Flexible datasets allow you to “skip ahead” to a relevant lesson, or use as an on-demand reference guide
- Detailed explanations and chapter summaries facilitate learning and retention
- Written by instructors with decades of industry and teaching experience
- Tested and refined in classrooms with a broad cross-section of students
This book has 450 pages, organized into 12 chapters, in a large-format, spiral bound volume.
Authors: Rick Ellis, Russell Martin
Written, printed and published in the United States of America.
Meet the Authors
Rick Ellis, president of Cadapult Software Solutions, Inc, has worked with and taught AutoCAD Civil 3D, along with Map 3D and other Autodesk products since the mid-90s. He is the Author of several critically acclaimed books on AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Map 3D, Land Desktop and Carlson Software; including the Practical Guide series.
Rick continues to use AutoCAD Civil 3D on projects in a production environment, in addition to teaching classes to organizations both large and small around the country, helping them get the most out of their design software investment.
This practical background and approach has made him a highly rated speaker at Autodesk University, a member of the national speaker team for the AUGI CAD Camps and a sought after instructor by organizations around the world.
Russell Martin is the technical editor of many of Cadapult Software Solutions’ training books, and is the co-author of “A Practical Guide to AutoCAD Map 3D”, “A Practical Guide to GIS in AutoCAD Civil 3D” and “Digging into AutoCAD Map 3D ” (plus many earlier editions, suitable for learning Map 3D back to the 2004 release). He has also written many articles and white papers on CAD and GIS software.
Russell has nearly three decades of experience using AutoCAD, and has been a power user since release 11, pushing the envelope in the mid-1990s for mapping and analysis using Autodesk Data Extension (ADE) tools, the precursors to AutoCAD Map.
He has taught AutoCAD and AutoCAD Map 3D to hundreds of users; one-on-one, in small classrooms, as well as at large venues including Autodesk University. He welcomes your connection through LinkedIn.